Can you place an infrared sauna outdoor?
Are there any true weather-resistant infrared saunas?
The answer is YES.
👉 The problem is:
A True outdoor infrared sauna is hard to find.
This post contains affiliate links. Click here to read my affiliate policy.
Most home infrared saunas are built to “survive” only indoors. If you want to place your FIR sauna outside, you have to make sure it is specially designed as an outdoor sauna room.
Because exposing the sauna elements to humidity, heat, snow, and wind can ruin them, and if the sauna is not well insulated, it will be harder to keep the heat inside.
An outdoor infrared sauna has to be built with water-proof solid wood, it has to be well insulated, and usually comes with a roof.
Here you’ll find our reviews for the 4 best outdoor infrared saunas , the benefits of placing one outdoor, and the cost to purchase and run an exterior FIR sauna.
👉 In a Hurry?
See our comparison table below, or jump to the Top 4 outdoor infrared sauna reviews
|Western Pacific 3-Person FIR Sauna|
👉Jump to Review
|7 carbon fiber heaters||100% waterproof Red Cedar Wood||10-year warranty
Check Price on Amazon
|Grandby 3-Person FAR Infrared Sauna|
👉Jump to Review
|7 ceramic FIR heaters||Canadian hemlock (waterproof)|
Pitched roof + rain cover
$1979 on Wayfair
|Western Pacific 4-Person Outdoor FIR Sauna|
👉Jump to Review
|8 ceramic FIR heaters||Canadian Hemlock|
Check Price on Amazon
|Cayenne 4-Person Outdoor Sauna|
👉Jump to Review
|8 ceramic FIR heaters||Canadian Hemlock||7-year warranty
$2596 on Home Depot
Table of Contents
- 1 How to Choose an Outdoor Infrared Sauna
- 2 The Top 4 Outdoor FIR Saunas [Reviewes & Comparison]
- 3 Indoor FIR Sauna VS Outdoor Infrared Sauna (Pros & Cons)
- 4 Outdoor Infrared Sauna Health Benefits
- 5 How Much Does an Outdoor FIR Sauna Cost?
How to Choose an Outdoor Infrared Sauna
Here are the most important factors to consider:
1. Electricity – an outdoor far infrared sauna needs electricity to function. You’ll need to install it next to an adequate outlet. Make sure it is close enough to a GFI outlet with enough capacity.
(You’ll find the power requirements for each sauna we recommend – in our reviews below)
2. Space – the best thing about an outdoor infrared light sauna is the fact it won’t take up space inside your home. You can place it on your patio, in your backyard, or on a deck outside.
And, if you have enough space outdoors, you can enjoy a large sauna – fit for 4-5 people.
3. Insulation – to be able to work up a sweat you’ll need a far infrared technology sauna that keeps the heat inside even when the weather is cold.
A specially designed outdoor sauna is made with the right kind of solid wood (more on that below) and is well-insulated. This will also lower your electricity spend on the sauna.
4. EMF radiation – choosing a low EMF infrared sauna is a critical factor for your safety.
A safe level of EMF is considered to be anything below 3.0mG.
5. The number of infrared heaters – since outdoor IR saunas are typically larger (3-person or more) – the number of heaters can be between 6-10.
A sauna for 4 people requires 8-10 heaters, while a 3-person sauna will have 6-8. The number of heaters can make a difference when it comes down to the temperature control and the heat inside.
6. Best wood type for outdoor saunas – the commonly used ones are hemlock, cedar, pine, and spruce.
Cedar is considered the best, followed by hemlock. The cheaper ones are made with pine or spruce. Cedar and hemlock are the most stain and moisture resistant.
7. Safety – make sure it is up to local building codes, safe, and able to withstand weather damage.
The Top 4 Outdoor FIR Saunas [Reviewes & Comparison]
Unfortunately, pickings are slim. It took us a lot of research and digging to find the 4 high-quality FIR saunas below:
(👉 Read: The Amazing Far Infrared Sauna Benefits!)
1. Western Pacific 4-Person Outdoor FIR Sauna Best Corner
The Western Pacific 8XL outdoor FIR sauna looks like a standalone house on its own.
The double-wall construction comes with a weather-sealed tempered glass door, a waterproof shingle roofing , 2 classic windows, and is made with quality hemlock wood – which is weather resistant.
It has 8 ceramic infrared heaters (6 Heaters on back walls and 2 Heaters under the benches), 4 reading lamps (LED), and 4 LED lights for chromotherapy ($160-$300 worth).
It will take 2 people about 2 hours to assemble, and it is easy to assemble and disassemble in case you’ll move and wish to take it with you.
– Size – 59.1 x 59.1 x 84.5 inches
– Weight – 550 lbs.
– Temperature – 110F to 140F
– Power Usage – 220v / 30 Amps / 60hz / 2400 Watts (you’ll need hook-up and a termite resistant 6-foot square pad)
– Warranty – 10 Year Limited Warranty: 10 years on the structure, 5 years on the heaters, and 3 years on the electronics.
- Music player options (iPhones/iPod/MP3 – $200 worth)
- Digital control panel
- Oxygen ionizer ($150 worth)
- Ozone generator
- 2 benches, each is 55″ wide x 17.5″ deep.
✅ Western Pacific 4-Person FIR Sauna Cost – $6.60 per pound. Check today’s price on Amazon.
The Western Pacific 3-person sauna is very similar to the 4-person one when it comes to the accessories, but it is smaller, has one window and one bench, and fits up to 3 people.
It costs a bit more than the larger one.
👉 Because it’s built with the best wood for outdoor saunas (100% waterproof red cedar wood construction) and has 7 carbon fiber heaters – which are considered the best FIR heaters.
It comes with a weather-sealed tempered partial glass door and 1 glass window, and If your budget can handle it, it’s the highest quality outdoor FIR sauna you’ll find in 2021.
- Overall Assembled Size: 75″ Wide x 62″ Deep x 102″ Tall.
- Bench Size: 55.5″ Wide x 22″ Deep
- Weight: 450 lbs.
- Electrical Requirements: 110v, 60hz, 20A (Standard 110v Plug Installed)
- Warranty – 10 years
- Accessories – the same as the 4-person sauna.
✅ Western Pacific 3-Person Outdoor FIR Sauna cost – $6.80 per pound. Check today’s price on Amazon.
The SunRay Saunas Grandby FIR rectangle outdoor sauna has a pitched, waterproof roof and comes with a rain cover , making it safe to assemble in your backyard or patio.
It comfortably accommodates 3 people and has 7 ceramic heaters (which heat up faster in colder weather), and reaches up to 140 F, inside a solid Canadian Hemlock build.
The sauna requires a standard 110 V plug as long it is 20 Amps.
The natural Canadian hemlock is mildew, rot, rust, and corrosion resistant, and blends beautifully with nature outside your home.
- 1 seating bench & 3 backrests
- LED lighting
- Oxygen ionization
- FM radio w/CD and MP3
- Cup holders
Power – 120 Volts / 2100 Watts/ 20 Amps
Size – 6′ 11” H x 6′ W x 3′ 11” D
Cabin dimensions – 5′ 8” H x 4′ 9” W x 3′ 1” D
Weight – 487 lbs
Warranty – 7 years
✅ Grandby Outdoor Infrared Sauna Cost – best price on Wayfair!
This outdoor infrared sauna is large and spacious , fits 4-5 people, and has 8 fast-heating ceramic FIR elements inside.
👉 It’s made with weather-resistant and durable Canadian Hemlock wood and is ETL/CSA Certified (meets all US and Canadian electrical safety standards).
This beautiful sauna will look beautiful on your deck, on your patio, or anywhere in your backyard.
It is easy to install with tongue and groove construction (tongue and groove joints allow two flat pieces to be joined strongly together to make a single flat surface.).
– Power: 120-Volt, 20 Amp plug, 2100 watts (It has to be on its dedicated circuit. So you can put a 30 amp plug on the end of the wire or hardwire it into a junction box).
– Size: 79 in. x 52 in. x 83 in.
– Cabin dimensions: 71 in. x 47 in. x 75 in.
– Warranty: 7-year structural warranty – guaranteed for defects in materials and workmanship.
– Accessories (included in the price):
- Long bench seat
- LCD control panel
- Oxygen ionizer
- Recessed exterior lighting
- FM radio with CD player
- Reading lamp
✅ Cayenne Outdoor FIR Sauna Cost – best price found on Wayfair
Indoor FIR Sauna VS Outdoor Infrared Sauna (Pros & Cons)
Here are the benefits of each sauna side by side, to make it easier for you to make a final choice:
in your home
|Placed inside your home –
longer due to
|Harder to keep
the heat inside
in cold weather –
So, can you place an indoor sauna outside?
Outdoor Infrared Sauna Health Benefits
Every year more and more scientific evidence about the diverse health and beauty benefits of IR saunas emerge, here are some of the proven benefits of infrared light therapy:
- Pain relief (muscles/nerves/joints)
- Lowering blood pressure
- Whole-body detox (including heavy metals)
- Boosting blood circulation
- Raising core body temperature
- Increasing vitality
- Boosting the immune system
- Weight loss
- Cellulite reduction
- Relieving Neuropathy
- And more!
How Many Times a Week Should You Use an Outdoor Sauna?
How Much Does an Outdoor FIR Sauna Cost?
The cost to buy an outdoor infrared sauna will vary depending on the size, quality of construction, wood type, heaters type, and energy rating. Size is usually the biggest factor in determining the price. The larger the sauna, the higher the purchase price. The average price of a 3-4-person OUTDOOR infrared sauna: $2000-$4000.
The average price for a 3-4 INDOOR IR sauna: $2000-$3000
How Much Does it Cost to Run an Outdoor Infrared Sauna?
Infrared saunas use much less electricity than the traditional sauna. They use less power because they mostly heat surfaces and not the surrounding air. They also have a lower preparation time – most FIR saunas heat in up to 30 minutes, while traditional saunas take an hour or more to heat up to the “sweating temperature”.
Electricity cost for an FIR sauna depends on how much you pay per kilowatt-hour on your current plan.
👉 For example, a 2200W FIR sauna, run for one hour, will generally use 1KWh of electricity – around 26.4 cents in the USA.
Placing an infrared sauna in your home or outside is one of the best and most cost-effective actions you can take to dramatically improve your health.
(Not sure why? Here are 14 proven benefits of infrared therapy)
In this post, you’ve found the only 4 true weather-resistant outdoor FIR saunas of 2021.
The second runner up is the Grandby 3-person FIR Sauna outdoor IR sauna.
Our 3rd choice would be the Cayenne 4-person sauna.
If these saunas are too heavy on your budget, consider a small, 2-person indoor FIR sauna, which doesn’t take much space and costs between $1000-$1500.
👉 For the lowest cost version of infrared sauna – check out our post about the top portable infrared saunas of 2021.
Any questions? We’re always happy to help. Use the comments below or message us directly on our Facebook page.
To your health and happiness,